Sunday, October 26, 2008

IceHL Southeast: Final Names

The final names for the IceHL's Southeast Division are in! Hundreds of you made your voice heard by rating the finalists for each franchise. So here are the winners.
  • Atlanta ARSENAL
    average rating 3.19/5 by 443 people

  • Baltimore BLUE CRABS
    average rating 3.4/5 by 429 people

  • North Carolina NIGHTHAWKS
    average rating 3.83/5 by 448 people

  • Tampa Bay BARRACUDAS
    average rating 3.79/5 by 412 people

  • Washington SENTINELS
    average rating 2.95/5 by 309 people

It's a little odd to see such similar names as Winterhawks and Nighthawks along with Hellcats and Steelcats. But I've been leaving these decisions up to you guys so there it is.

Based on these names, your task — should you choose to accept it — is to brand the franchise. You choose the color scheme and design primary, secondary and script logos around that. Additional logos may or may not be included in the voting process.

Submit your logo art by email to me at icethetics@gmail.com. Do not post links to artwork in the comments. They will be deleted and not considered for use in this project. I'm also outlining guidelines for submissions below. If you don't follow them, your work will probably not be included.

Southeast logo submission deadline: November 15

If you want your submission included, follow these instructions:
  • DO NOT STEAL ARTWORK. Logos copied or adapted from professional trademarked logos will not be permitted.

  • Submit three (3) logos: primary, secondary and script. Use a white background. If your logo requires a white outline (think Lightning or Capitals), then use a gray background with the white outline included. ALL 3 LOGOS will be used in the voting process. If you leave out one, your work may be disqualified.

  • Submit vector art if possible. I will accept .ai, .psd and .pdf files. If you cannot submit vector art, you must be able to provide high quality images in .jpg or .png files ONLY. All other file types may be disqualified.

  • You must include your credit within the graphic itself as well as the email. This can be your real name or a pseudonym. I need them in both places so I can easily search my email to find your artwork and email address. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.

  • By submitting your own original artwork to any Icethetics email address, you agree to grant permission of its use for online or print publication by Icethetics. Do not watermark your logos or they will be disqualified.

  • No jersey concepts, please. That will be a later step in this process.

I tried to be specific here but I'm happy to answer any additional questions you may have via email. I was very clear about this but keep in mind that if you do not properly follow the instructions above, your work will likely be disqualified. So read them carefully.

Just so everyone is aware, when it comes time to choose a logo for each team, the process will work basically the same as the name ratings. Logo rating pages will be posted for each team and up to 20 logo submissions will be available to rate. I'm sorry I can't include more but this assures that all worthy submissions will get a fair shake.

The difference here is that once the rating period has ended, there will be a vote on Icethetics of the top 3 rated logos for each team. This assures that we choose the logo everyone wants.

Start submitting your logos!

19 comments:

Marty said...

I say from now on we only submit "Hawk" and "Cat" related nicknames, seeing how popular they are. I think "Thundercats" is the logical next step. (Or is that "Thunderhawks"?)

Unknown said...

Thundercats was a nominee for one of them this round, wasn't it?

Unknown said...

LOL! The whole league should just be spilt into two conferences. The Hawk Conference and the Cat Conference.

I don't like the Blue Crabs for Baltimore, sounds like a very un-intimidating name for a team.

Moosehabs said...

Blue Crabs??

Unknown said...

ROFL at Blue Crabs.... I can imagine a logo for that already... it can be nothing but a Blue Crab, XD.... Not to say i dont like the name, i just find it funny :)

Unknown said...

Blue Crabs??
What the hell were we thinking?

Oh and one of my names finally got picked! (Arsenal) I'll be sure not to slip up and miss the deadline this time.

Cuz I already drew the Arsenal logo up!

Jason New Era said...

Yeah...

Enough with the "...hawks" names. Seriously. How many can we draw up? This is the sorta thing that makes me not want to make a logo for a division. So far I have at least 1 logo in each, but this one might be the first I don't. Barracuda's are the only one that stands out to me. Blue crabs is great, someone just needs to get imaginative.

asnowballschance said...

Maybe any team with "...hawks" or "...cats" should automatically be disqualified for future divisions so that the uniqueness of this fantasy league is not lost.

Drew said...

Thanks to everyone who voted for the Blue Crabs and Nighthawks!

Marty said...

I think that "Blue Crabs" is great. It sounds like one of those names that were picked a looong time ago that would never fly today, but now are classics, like the New York Knickerbockers, or the Detroit Red Wings, or the Toronto Maple Leafs. Better than Battalion. (Sounds like a lacrosse name.)

Dave Fanboy! said...

Blue Crabs deserves the 'Snakes on a Plane' award for awkward naming!
Nighthawks is kinda meh. Can we use the runner-up instead? I'd prefer a weather-based name even! Thunder. Lightning. Cloudy. Fog.

asnowballschance said...

"Snakes on a Plane" award? That's so 2006! You haven't read the guidelines for choosing a team name as we cannot use any teams from the NHL (Lightning) or the IHA (Thunder). Furthermore, your posting name enticing people to email you is rather strange.

Anonymous said...

What about the Jacksonville Barracudas of the SPHL. It is a minor league and it is in the same state. I think it should be disqualified even though it is a good name and the Jacksonville team did suspend operations for this year.

Dave Fanboy! said...

ack! I didn't mean to post my email, wth

Dave Fanboy! said...

There, changed!

And I meant those team names as examples, not suggestions

Ogre39666 said...

I love the Sentinels and Blue Crabs names. Nighthawks would be ok, but not with a team already called the Winterhawks. Arsenal isn't bad, but I'm not crazy about the Barracudas... it makes me think of Legends of the Hidden Temple (great show btw)

jared said...

The washington sentinels are a football team in the movie "The Replacements" with Keanu(or however you spell it" Reeves.

I would fire my agent immediately if he even considered the Blue Crabs for me.

Anonymous said...

http://www.somdbluecrabs.com/index.cfm

slight problem, a real team IS the blue crabs! just in baseball... unfortunate cause I was actually looking forward to making a logo for this one..

Chris said...

slight problem, a real team IS the blue crabs! just in baseball... unfortunate cause I was actually looking forward to making a logo for this one..

Maybe you didn't read the "Final Names" at the top of the post. lol

This name, as with all others, sticks. I look forward to seeing your logo!

Post a Comment