I wanted to have the new division posted yesterday, but my computer issues prevented that. So now that you've seen the Atlantic and West Divisions, today we're heading back east for the Northeast Division. Remember, your job is to take the name and colors and create an identity for a hockey team from scratch. I believe in you!
The response from artists has been phenomenal. You guys have come up with some great logos. The response from many readers who aren't submitting work has been odd. I don't understand the complaints but you can never please everyone. Just have fun with this project!
As I've said, I'll be unveiling a new division every week until we've got all the team names and colors out there. This week we've begun voting on the Atlantic logos. Next week will be the West. The week after will be today's division. This gives you guys two weeks to come up with and submit designs.
Now for the IHA Northeast...
IHA: NORTHEAST DIVISION
BOSTON ROYALS / Boston, Massachusetts
yellow (F8BF24), purple (660099) and grey (BFCFD1)
HARTFORD BEARS / Hartford, Connecticut
green (03753B), blue (09549A) and white (F0F0F0)
MONTRÉAL ROUGE / Montreal, Quebec
maroon (6D0707), red (A90707) and white (F0F0F0)
OTTAWA CAPITALS / Ottawa, Ontario
grey (D0D5AB), navy (0C0A72) and black (202020)
QUEBEC GLACIER / Quebec City, Quebec
red (C20A2D), blue (013463) and sky (AED5FA)
I've supplied colors in hexadecimal format. Should you need RGB conversion, here's a decent resource. By the way, you aren't tied to the exact colors here. Feel free to alter them a little if need be. But please shy away from the standard colors like total black or total white or total red. Remember, be different! As similar as it might be to the NHL, it's not the NHL!
Once again, follow these guidelines when submitting your original IHA artwork:
- DO NOT STEAL ARTWORK. I'm surprised I have to say this but a number of people submitted logos from professional teams. This is where you let your own creativity shine through. Send in something original!
- Submit three (3) logos: primary, secondary and wordmark. Use a white background. If your logo requires a white outline (think Lightning or Capitals), then use a gray background with the white outline included.
- Submit vector art if possible. I will accept .ai, .psd and .pdf files. If you cannot submit vector art, you must be able to provide high quality raster art in .jpg or .png files. No .bmp files, please.
- Try to stick to the assigned colors. Change them only if you deem it necessary and then explain why you made the change. Remember, the "fans" chose these colors and they're who you're working for in the end.
- Email them to email@example.com with IHA in the subject line. Please include your first and last name (it will not be posted). Please also submit your nickname which will be public if you don't want your real first name used.
- By submitting your own original artwork to the email address above, you agree to grant permission of its use for online or print publication by Icethetics. Do not watermark your logos or they will not be considered.
- And finally, be prepared to accept feedback and criticism of all kinds!
As always, you can email me questions directly or post them in the comments area. Start designing your logos! I look forward to seeing what you all come up with!