Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bolts Go Photoshopping

First, yes Vinny signed an 11-year contract with my Tampa Bay Lightning and I couldn't be happier. But it's actually Steven Stamkos that has me writing this evening. It appears even official team web sites aren't above Photoshopping jerseys onto players who haven't actually worn them yet.

This ad is currently appearing on the Bolts' home page.



At first you may think nothing of it. But look at the guy on the right. Is that Stamkos? In a Lightning jersey? When would he have had occasion to don a Bolts jersey in game action? Any graphic artist worth his salt should be able to tell in a second that it's not a real photo based on the lighting and shadows alone.

If you're not sold, consider this: Even when training camp rolls around, they don't wear full-on game sweaters. They have practice jerseys for that. So I'm led to the conclusion that his head has been pasted on someone else's body. And, of course, the numbers have been added because no player to my knowledge wore #91 for the Lightning last year.

Wow! Maybe I'm the only one intrigued by this, but I figure if I'm not alone, you guys would be the only other ones who care. So speaking of which, if anybody happens to run across a free agent signee already in his new team's uniform on an official web site, shoot me an email.

I'll leave you with this question: Who was that originally a picture of and how do you think he feels about having his head chopped off and his number changed?

21 comments:

Sukhraj said...

thats a hard question

Anonymous said...

maybe he had a photoshoot in the jersey......game action shots....probably not but it's possible.

Tukker said...

Stamkos wears Reebok Gloves, not Easton

Chris said...

maybe he had a photoshoot in the jersey......game action shots....probably not but it's possible.

I considered that but I don't think it's a real possibility considering the time, money and effort required for something like that. Having said that, I have been wrong before.

Jerm Deeks said...

For some reason I feel like that's Prospal, buuuut, that's just a guess.

Anonymous said...

its shopped, his head isn't on his body properly.....or he has a messed up neck.

Anonymous said...

After research that is Dan Boyle,
sans head of course.

nhlfan09 said...

u beat me 2 it. i could tell it was boyle by the gloves

Unknown said...

Hey Chris, you know what i think we should do? We should Pit GFB and Sigma Kappa against each other, by each week, you creating a fictional team and they have to create logos for that team, just based on the name, and the next week when their work is posted, we here at the blog vote on which artwork is better. it could be like a real playoff series, best of 7.

Jerm Deeks said...

Boyle was totally who I meant, I swear.

I think bruinbxr5791 could be onto something really cool.

P.S. Anyone else finding this new, super-small captcha thing really hard? Like really, really hard, I'm shooting like 0/8 on this one.

Jason said...

No more e-mail notification of new comments?

skatinista! said...

The blues did something similar to that a couple of years ago when they Signed Paul Kariya. This was the year before they switched to the RBK edge jerseys, and they hadn't been released yet, so they had photoshopped him into a jersey that he would never even wear.

Mike Phoenix said...

I this this is the Photo use for Stamkos head.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2008/04/24/stamkos_steve_400.jpg

Anonymous said...

Is someone going to please get rid of the "power rangers" like logo on the Bolts' jersys? I for one can't stand it. I miss our old logo.

GO BOLTS, just found your blog and love it!!

Jeff Z. said...

It is a photoshop. They admitted it because when they first released the ad they accidentally made him left-handed. Check out this article:
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/2008/06/the-lightnings.html

Mike Phoenix said...

Over all the Photo shopping is very poor i could tell right away that it was. I could have done a better job! Have they heard of the Burn and Dodge tools. LOL

Michael said...

http://picasaweb.google.com/nhllogos/TampaBayLightning/photo#5113881578466409394

painted white?

anyone see it?

Catamount said...

richards

Mike Phoenix said...

I was thinking Richards as well Only because It would be easy to change the 11 into a 91. but the Boyle sounds more likely becasue he's not part of the Team no more.

Damme said...

Mykl and Kevin: It's not from that picture. Look at the left arm and the collar. Theyre differen't.

And who would be so stupid and paint a black jersey white when there's probably alot of pictures with a white jersey.

Jeff Z. said...

Mike Phoenix,
Richards wore 19 with the Lightning, not 11.

Post a Comment